Tuesday, February 25, 2014

ESCAPE - Chapter 7

   The next morning, just as I was about to leave for the church office, the FedEx truck pulled up. He had an overnight envelope for me from the Presbytery office. Inside were ten $100 bills anda note from Rev. Sheetz.
   “Joshua, Take your time paying this back. You have been hit with so many punches that most people would have been out for the count. I’m praying for you!  Joe”
   I was encouraged to know that Presbytery had my back. At the church office I received some sad news. Mr. Wainwright had died at the Arkansas Heart Hospital. I called the Wainwright residence to see if Mrs. Wainwright was there. There was no answer. I called her best friend, Mrs. Higgins.
   “Mrs. Higgins, do you know if Mrs. Wainwright has returned home from Little Rock?”
   “Yes, she returned last evening, but this morning I saw an ambulance and they took her away in it.”
   “Thank you, Mrs. Higgins.”
   I told the secretary that I was going to the hospital. At the Emergency Room I asked about Mrs. Wainwright. They told me that she was in Room 127 in the hospital. The clerk whispered to me,
   “She had a panic attack and was so distraught that the doctor thought she should stay overnight.”
   “Thank you, Susie.”
   HIPPA rules do not recognize clergy as part of the healing team. It is illegal to give a minister any information about a patient’s condition.
   I went back to Mrs. Wainwright’s room. She was a bit woozy and loopy, probably from a tranquilizer and sedative. I held her hand and told her how sorry I was for her loss of Harold. I told her that I was still hurting from the loss of Laura. Then I told her the good news of the resurrection and the assurance we have that our loved one who were Christians are now with the Lord in heaven. He has prepared a far nicer home for them than they had down here. Then I prayed with her. She probably had not spoken with the funeral director to make arrangements. I would have the secretary call the funeral home tomorrow afternoon to find out the days and times for the viewing and the funeral.
   When I returned to the church office, the secretary said that Mr. Fike called and wanted me to return his call.
   “Mr. Fike, this is Reverend Sterner returning your call.”
   “Yes. Well, I just wanted to know how this meeting on Sunday will go.”
   “I will moderate the meeting…”
   He broke in, “The Presbytery Executive won’t moderate it?”
   “If he is there, he will just be there to observe.”
   “Why would he want to observe?”
   “It is customary in these circumstances.”
   “What circumstances?”
   “The Session did ask me to leave. That is why we are having this meeting.”
   “Oh.”
   “I will declare that a quorum is present. Then, if you are present, I will appoint you as secretary for the meeting to keep the minutes. I will announce the purpose of the meeting which is for the congregation to vote on whether it desires for the pastoral relationship be dissolved by Presbytery.
   “If I then announce that I request the pastoral relationship between myself and the Church be dissolved, then someone from the congregation will have to make a motion that the congregation communicate to Presbytery that it concurs with Reverend Sterner’s request.
   “If I don’t announce that I request the dissolution, then someone from the congregation will have to make a motion that the congregation requests that the Presbytery dissolve the pastoral relationship between Reverend Sterner and this church.”
   “Well, are you going to announce that you are the one requesting it or not?”
   “I haven’t decided.”
   “Of course you haven’t, you jerk.”
   With that parting shot he hung up.
   I wondered if it wouldn’t be better to force the hand of those who wanted me to leave, by not requesting the pastoral relationship to be dissolved. That would expose to the congregation who the troublemakers are. That way, there was a distinct possibility that those who wanted me to leave would lose. BUT, then I would have to stay in what would be a pretty sticky situation. I will definitely request to leave, but I’ll keep my intentions to myself and let Fike, Alfritz, Bigelow, Carrington, et al squirm for a while.
   When I went home for the day, I divided the $100 bills and put them in different drawers and coat pockets. Then I sat at the table and made a grocery list. Because of Laura’s illness and with aides and the nurse coming and going, I had been eating out a lot. I made a list of foods for breakfast, lunch, and supper – enough for one week. Then I went to the store. In times past, people would stop me in the store and want to talk. I recognized some people and smiled at them, but no one spoke to me. In the checkout line I heard someone say,
   “A hundred dollar bill. He must have got that inheritance right away.”
   The next day the secretary found out that Mr. Wainwright’s viewing was on Friday evening and the funeral was Saturday at 2 p.m. I would go to see Mrs. Wainwright this afternoon. I started work on my sermon for Sunday, “Sola Fide”. The funeral home called and told me that Mrs. Wainwright had requested that I conduct the services for Mr. Harold Wainwright. I confirmed that I would conduct the services. I worked hard on the sermon until I left for Mrs. Wainwright’s house.
   “Mrs. Wainwright, the funeral home called and said that you wanted me to conduct your husband’s funeral. I’ve come over this afternoon to get some information and also to offer my condolences.”
   “Please come in Reverend Sterner. My daughters are here. We can ask them to help us.
   “Reverend  Sterner, these are my daughters Alice Cunningham and Rhoda Quatero.”
   “I am happy to meet you ladies. I am sorry for the loss of your father. I want to get some information on him for the funeral service.”
   Alice spoke up, “I want to read a poem in the service.”
   Mrs. Wainwright said, “Rhoda suggested that we have the burial first with just the family members present and then have the funeral service itself in the Church.”
   “That is fine with me. Be sure to let the funeral home know this as soon as possible. Call the church secretary tomorrow morning and have her inform the Chairman of the Board of Deacons that you want to use the church on Saturday afternoon. He will have to arrange for someone to clean up the sanctuary for church services on Sunday.”
   “Are we supposed to pay for that?”
   “If you want to send a donation you may, but there is no charge for church members. Now tell me some things about Harold that I can mention in his memorial service.”
After they had recounted some anecdotes and characteristics of Harold, Rhoda said to be sure to include “Abide With Me.” She was sure that was one of her father’s favorite hymns. I had prayer with them and then left.
   At home I fixed some supper. After that I continued work on the sermon for Sunday, Sola Fide, “only by faith”. It is by faith alone that we are saved. It is by faith we live each day in a way pleasing to God. Faith is the sum total of all God has revealed to us.
   That night I had a fitful sleep. In one dream I was wrestling with Death. In another dream I was wrestling with the Devil. In the third dream Mr. Fike, and Mr. Bigelow were both wrestling me while Mrs. Alfritz and Mrs. Carrington were cheering them on.
   On Friday Mrs. Alfritz called me at the church.
   “Reverend Sterner, I just wondered if you had visited with Mrs. Wainwright yet. You know her husband is in a hospital in Little Rock. It must have been too much for her because she was in the hospital here overnight. I know you have had so much on you what with Laura’s death and your own sons suing you, but if you can find the time, I’m sure that she would appreciate a visit from her pastor.”
   “I visited Mr. Wainwright in the Emergency Room here and Mrs. Wainwright was with him. I visited both of them in the Arkansas Heart Hospital in Little Rock. Mr. Wainwright died. I visited Mrs. Wainwright when she was in the hospital here after his death. I visited Mrs. Wainwright and her two daughters in her home yesterday afternoon to plan the funeral. The viewing will be tonight at 7 p.m. at the funeral home and the funeral will be tomorrow at 2 p.m. at the Church.”
   “Oh, I didn’t know he died.”
   “Good-bye Mrs. Alfritz.”
   I went to the funeral home to pick up a copy of Harold Wainwright’s obituary. I also asked for at least half a dozen copies of Laura’s death certificate. I saw that the cause of death was the same as the coroner had said, “Cancer; multiple organ failure”.
  “By the way, I left a $15,000 life insurance policy on Laura as a deposit on her funeral. Do you know how much I will be getting back from it when the insurance company pays you?”
   “Nothing. The funeral as you planned it would have been about $9600. When the extra cost of the deluxe wooden coffin, a family limousine, and some other additional services were added to it, the final bill was $15,146. The owner, Mr. Murphy said that we would accept the $15,000 policy as payment in full.”
   “Thank you.” “Yes, thank you Matthew, Traci, and Thomas.”
   Later that evening I came to the viewing and stayed just long enough to pay my respects to Mrs. Wainwright and her daughters. It was a quieter atmosphere than at Laura’s viewing. I had prayer with them and then went home. I found some classical music on the radio and sat down to relax.
   On Saturday I worked on my sermon for Sunday. I also wrote out a statement giving my reasons for desiring to end my pastoral call to the First Presbyterian Church.
   At one o’clock I left for the cemetery. I arrived before the hearse and the Wainwright family. This was a very large cemetery. I looked for a tent. I then looked around the open grave for the little metal sign with the person’s name. It was “Wainwright” so I was in the right location. When the hearse arrived, the family was in their own car following the hearse. There were just three women dressed in black. Evidently the daughters were not married or their husbands were at home.
   I read several verses about the resurrection, asked them to join me in the Lord’s Prayer. Then I had the Prayer of Committal, said two additional prayers and the benediction. I shook hands with them and started for my car. One of the men from the funeral home caught my sleeve. I stopped and he handed me an envelope. I thanked him. I realized that since there would not be a coffin in the church for the memorial service, the funeral home would not have to be involved with it.
   At the memorial service one of the daughters place a framed photo of Mr. Wainwright on the table in front of the pulpit. I read the obituary, then some Scripture verses. We sang “Amazing Grace” as an opening hymn. Then I called on Alice Cunningham to read a poem. She had chosen “Crossing The Bar” by Alfred Lord Tennyson
   After that I read two Scripture lessons - Psalms 46 and a portion of Romans 8. My homily was on Christ’s triumph over death. I had a prayer of praise and assurance. Then we sang “Abide With Me” as the closing hymn.


No comments:

Post a Comment