Wednesday, March 5, 2014

ESCAPE - Chapter 8

   Sunday morning I was nervous. That seemed to help the delivery of my sermon. The attendance was about normal, maybe a little more people than usual. Before the service began I saw the Reverend Joe Sheetz sitting in the rear. I asked him if I could call on him for the Benediction.
   “No. If you usually recognize visitors, say I am Mr. Joe Sheetz visiting from Louisiana.”
   At the end of the service I pronounced the benediction, announced that the congregational meeting would now begin. I waited while a few people slipped out of the church. Then I opened the congregational meeting with prayer. After that I stated that a quorum was present. I asked Mr. Fike to be secretary and keep the minutes of the meeting. 
   I then told the congregation that I was requesting that the Presbytery dissolve the pastoral relations between me and this church as of November 30. My reasons were that the rumors that had gone around town after the death of my wife were making it difficult to continue to be a pastor here. Also, I have not been able to grieve her loss because of all the controversy.
   “I will now entertain a motion to tell Presbytery that the congregation is agreeable or that it is not agreeable to my request. We will then vote on the motion. If a motion to agree passes, Presbytery will grant my request. If it doesn’t pass, or if a motion not to agrre passes, Presbytery will give the Church an opportunity to state its reasons why I should continue to serve as your pastor. Does someone have a motion?”
   Mrs. Alfritz said, “I move that the congregation of First Presbyterian Church is in favor of Reverend Sterner leaving.”
   Mr. Bigelow, “I second that motion.”
   “The motion is made and seconded. Is there any discussion?”
   Nancy Friborg, one of Dr. Rumfeldt’s nurses stood up. Mrs. Alfritz also stood and said,
   “I am the maker of the motion. I have the right to be the first speaker.” 
   Nancy Friborg sat down. 
   “Our church has been the object of scorn ever since it became known that he let his wife die without doing anything to help her. Then we found out from his sons that there is an inheritance involved. Imagine, he is being sued by his own sons! Moreover, I think you will all agree that he has not been doing much work for the church since his wife became ill. Let him go and let’s get someone who will work at building this church up.”
   Nancy Friborg stood up again. “I can’t believe how many people believed and repeated that rumor. I know that they haven’t seen anyone in the last stages of cancer. Anyone who has seen someone dying of cancer will know how much work Reverend Sterner had to do every night to try to make her comfortable. Anyone with an open mind who will ask Dr. Rumfeldt or Patsy Godwin will find out that Laura Sterner lived longer than they expected and that there was nothing Reverend Sterner could have done to keep her from dying. It was a blessing when she died. You cannot imagine how much she suffered in these last months.”
   Johnny Fox, a quiet man who was a mechanic said, “When we vote, I want it to be by written ballot.”
   “Is there any more discussion?....Hearing none, it has been requested that we vote by written ballot. Is there a second to that motion?”
   “Second”
   “All in favor signify by saying ‘Aye’”.  There were a number of voices saying “Aye”.
   “All opposed the same sign.” About the same number of voices was heard.
   “I cannot tell from a voice vote. All who are in favor of voting by written ballot please stand. Mr. Bigelow, please count the ones standing on your side of the aisle, Mrs. Alfritz please count the ones standing on your side of the aisle. Then give your counts to Mr. Fike.
   “Please be seated. Those opposed to voting by written ballot please stand. Mr. Bigelow and Mrs. Alfritz please count.”
   The motion to vote by written ballot was defeated.
   “We are now ready to vote on the motion ‘…that the congregation of First Presbyterian Church is in favor of Reverend Sterner leaving.’ All in favor of the motion, please stand. You may be seated. All opposed to the motion, please stand. The motion passes. There being no other business, is there a motion to adjourn?”
   The motion was made and I closed the meeting in prayer.
   Joe Sheetz came up to me after the meeting.
   “Let’s go get some dinner. It will be my treat.”
   While we were eating I asked him,
   “When Presbytery dissolves the relationship, could it specify that I be allowed to continue living in the manse until the end of the year? My trial is scheduled for December 10.”
   “That is more than reasonable. Have you given any thought to what you want to do after this?”
   “If the trial is December 10 and isn’t postponed, presumably my bank accounts will be unfrozen. If so, I want to take a couple months vacation, maybe go to be with my grandchildren on Christmas. After that I will look for a church.”
   “That sounds good. You definitely need some time off.”
   After the meal we shook hands and went our separate ways. I went home and sat on the sofa. Despite the encouragement from Joe Sheetz, I felt depressed. As I looked back over twenty-seven years as a pastor, there was not one pastorate that I had left on my own accord. In each case I had left under some kind of pressure or another.
   After I had been in my first pastorate of three rural churches for three years, the presbytery urged me to lead the churches in increasing the amount of my support that they would pay and decreasing the amount they requested from the presbytery. The elders in the churches reacted strongly against this idea. They had been receiving support from the presbytery for over ninety years. They regarded it as their right. I was caught in the middle between the presbytery committee which had oversight over me and the sessions of the three churches. I began to look for an escape.
   I went to a church where half of the congregation wanted to leave the denomination and the other half wanted to stay. Neither half could have supported a pastor and a building without the other half. The presbytery executive helped me to work out a plan in which the church could designate how its benevolence money would be used. They could designate it for missionary work and orphanages and colleges, but refuse to support social action other unpopular causes. Everyone was able to unite under this arrangement. 
   The church had no children’s Sunday School or youth group. I was able to build up a large children’s work. We had scavenger hunts, bicycle hikes, roller skating and swimming parties, a Hallowe’en haunted house, and we took them to summer camp. All these activities were to attract and keep children and young people in the church. In the end it was young people who brought me tumbling down.
   Next door to the church was a large vacant lot which was owned by the church. The Deacons had said that young people could use the lot for recreation. One of the elders lived next to the lot. One Saturday when I was out of town at a Presbytery meeting, Philip and a dozen other boys were playing softball on that lot. In the middle of the game, this elder came charging out of his house, singled out Philip, and stood there yelling at him and threatening to throw him in jail if he brought his friends back to the lot again. The other boys walked away and went home. Philip went home shaking. He was white as a sheet. Laura asked him what was wrong. He was only 12 or 13.
   “Mr. Richfield said he was going to have me thrown in jail if I brought kids to play on that lot again. I didn’t bring them. Everyone just came together there. Anyhow, the Deacons said we could play on that lot.”
   When I came home, Laura told me what had happened. The next day, when Worship was over and people were leaving the church, I left the foyer, where I had been shaking hands with the people, and walked out to the sidewalk where Mr. Richfield was standing.
   “If you ever dare correct one of my sons, yell at him, embarrass him in front of his friends, you and I will go at each other with fists until one of us goes down. If you have a complaint against one of them, you take it up with me. If they need correcting, I will correct them. In this case you were in the wrong. The deacons voted that the young people could use that lot for play. If you don’t like that decision, go yell at the Deacons, not some 12 year old boy.”
   Needless to say my days were numbered in that pastorate. The next pastorate was a two church field. I was at that pastorate for eight years. I did a good work on that field and it is now two separate churches, each with its own pastor. Toward the end, something went sour. I’m not sure what it was. The collections began to decline until the treasurer couldn’t pay my salary. I was able to go on active duty with the National Guard for several months while I looked for another church. The salary I made on active duty was enough to support my family until we moved.
   My next pastorate was one church in a busy town. Our sons were growing up, Philip and Thomas were in college. For most of the time that I was there, the work prospered. In the fifth year, the woman who was treasurer resigned and quit coming to church. One of her daughters-in-law had a nephew who died. I had been preaching sermons on Elijah and Elisha. I didn’t know that this young lady was going to be in church. She had been away for several weeks. In the Scripture reading there was the story of Elisha raising a boy from the dead. The young lady stood up in the pew and screamed a high pitched primal scream and then marched out. At the next Session meeting they told me that they wanted me gone as soon as possible.
   That was when I came here. I had been here longer than in any other pastorate. Now it was again time to go. Am I a no good pastor? What do some men have that allows them to spend their entire career in the same pastorate?
   I took my shoes off and lay down on the sofa and tried to take a nap. When I awoke it was dark outside. The clock said that it was nearly midnight. I was hungry. I went to the refrigerator and got a can of peaches and the cottage cheese. I put some peaches and syrup in a bowl and topped it with cottage cheese. I ate these and then went back to the bedroom, undressed, showered, put on my pajamas and went to bed.
   The next morning I went to Mr. Bilton’s office. I asked him if he had completed the audit that I had requested.
   “Yes, I have. Here is the original and two copies of my audit. Here are the two envelopes of bills and cancelled checks.”
   “Was the bill $500?”
   "Yes.”
   “Here are five $100 bills.”
   “Thank you, Reverend Sterner. I am going to miss seeing you around town.”
   “Thank you, Mr. Bilton.”
   From there I went to lawyer Capon’s office.
   “Mr. Capon, I would like to give you the original of Mr. Bilton’s audit of the account that held Laura’s inheritance, and also two envelopes containing bills and cancelled checks from that account. I am giving them to you for safekeeping since they may be used as evidence in the lawsuit pending against me.”
   “Yes, we will take them and keep them safe. I’ll have my secretary give you a receipt. I notice that you have two copies of the audit. If you will give me the addresses of the two sons who are suing you, I will send a copy of the audit to them and suggest that they drop the lawsuit in the light of this compelling evidence. I will remind them that courts do not like frivolous lawsuits and that they could end up having to pay all court costs and your legal expenses.”
   “That would be nice if they had to pay.” 
   I started for home intending to spend the rest of the day resting and recuperating. On the way I made a spur-of-the-moment decision and drove to the Hazelwood Presbyterian Church. The dirt rectangle and a small tin marker showed me where Laura was buried. I won’t be able to buy her a headstone as long as my bank accounts are frozen. I stood by Laura’s grave and told her all that had been happening. I poured out my heart and soul to her, just as I had on other occasions while she was still with me. She is now in heaven, part of the great cloud of witnesses. God has wiped away all tears from her eyes. I can still be hurt and be sad, but not Laura! I cried my heart out.
   After supper I looked through the mail. The letters reminded me that it was time to write Nathaniel.                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
Dear Nathaniel,
Here it is November already. Soon we will be thinking about Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Yesterday we had a congregational meeting at the church. I announced that I was resigning as pastor effective the end of November. There is just so much here that reminds me of Laura’s pain and suffering. I want to go to some place where I can escape those sad memories.
When I think of all the happy memories of life together with her, I always wish for you that someday you will meet a woman who will make your life as happy and complete as the life that Laura and I had together.        
Love,  
Dad


No comments:

Post a Comment