Tuesday, February 18, 2014

ESCAPE - Chapter 6

In the worship service bulletin I had the secretary word the announcement this way, “Next Sunday, following the Worship service, there will be a Congregational meeting for the purpose of asking the congregation to vote their approval or disapproval of dissolving the pastoral relationship between this Church and the Reverend Joshua Sterner.” That wording would allow me some additional time to decide whether to resign and ask for the congregation’s approval or whether to leave it to someone to make a motion that the congregation requests that its pastoral relationship with me be dissolved. I saw a number of people in the pews pointing to the bulletin. Apparently the members of the Session had kept to themselves their plan to ask me to leave.

My sermon was “Sola Scriptura”. The Scriptures are the only book in the world in which God has revealed Himself to mankind. The Scriptures contain words inspired by God and are literally the Word of God. Therefore, the Scriptures carry with them the same authority as a signed decree by a king, except they are the decrees of God. The Scriptures teach us what we need to know about God and what duties He requires of us. The Scriptures contain the only way of salvation. The Scriptures have sufficient power in themselves, without any priest or clergyman, to lead those who read them to salvation and a relationship with God. 

After church I had a light lunch and lay down for a nap. That evening Phil called. He and Molly and then Billy and Polly talked with me. The kids were excited about school. They have to ride over an hour on the school bus. Molly has been teaching them songs to sing on the way to school. The other kids are joining in, happy to have a way to pass the time.

 About an hour afterward Nathaniel called.

“Hi, Dad. I just wanted to see if you are all right.”

“Yes, I’m doing okay, Nathaniel, how about you?”

“Well, good. Good talking to you. I just wanted to make sure you were all right. Good-bye now.”

“Good-bye, son.”

Monday, I devoted myself to assembling the checks and receipts for Laura’s medical expenses that were in my files. The ones in the envelope in Laura’s dresser drawer covered the first six years and the very beginning of this year. They were carefully arranged in chronological order. Then she had given me power of attorney so that I could sign checks on her account to pay medical bills. After that the checks and bills were in my files.

After I finished arranging the checks and bills in my files, I took them to the office of Graham Bilton, C.P.A.  I had been going to tabulate them myself and print four copies and mail that to the boys. I thought that it would be better to have them audited. Maybe that would settle the matter.

“Graham, I have a job that I would like for you to do for me. Two of my sons practically accused me of embezzling Laura’s inheritance. In these two envelopes are the originals of the bills and checks of monies spent from her account. Would you audit them and write a statement of your findings? Then I’ll mail a copy to each of my sons.”

“I’ll be glad to do that for you. Things are slow right now so I should have the job completed this week.”

I walked back home. There was a message on the answering machine from the bank. It was too late to call this evening. This was supposed to be my day off. I decided to drive over to the next town and go to the movies, just to get out of the house. When I came to the movie house and looked at the posters for the six movies showing, none of them were appealing. I went to Jim’s Hamburger Restaurant and bought a large hamburger with sweet potato fries. The hamburger was delicious and the sweet potato fries served with barbeque sauce for dipping were out of this world. A juke box was playing. I nursed my meal, chewing slowly, and dragging out the time. It was a time of relaxing and unwinding for me. I didn’t want to see anyone that I knew, and I didn’t.

The next day, when the mailman came, he rang the door bell.

“Reverend Sterner, I have a piece of mail for you that requires your signature.”

After I had signed a green card, he gave me a letter from the Circuit Court. The papers inside informed me that I was being sued by Thomas Sterner and Matthew Sterner for the wrongful death of Laura Claudette Sterner and the mishandling of the funds in her estate. Until a judgment has been made, the Court has frozen all my assets. That explains why the bank called.

I called the church office and told the secretary that I had to take care of some business in town, but that I would be in the office before noon. I walked into town to the bank and went back to Accounting.

“Reverend Sterner, thank you for coming in. I wanted you to know that the bank received an order from the court freezing all your accounts. You won’t be able to write checks or withdraw money from any of your accounts or have access to your lock box until such time as the court rescinds its order or modifies it.”

“What about checks that I have written already?”

“Any check dated before we received the court order will be honored.”

“Thank you.”

Next I went to Graham Bilton’s office.

“Hello preacher, I started working on your job, but I am nowhere near being finished.”

“Graham, there is a new dimension to that job. I found out today that I am being sued for mismanaging Laura’s inheritance, so the work you are doing will eventually be evidence in court. Also, the court has frozen all my assets. I will have to pay you in cash. You’ll have to tell me a day or so ahead how much the job will cost.”

“It will be around $500. If you can’t come up with the money right away, I know you are good for it.”

“No, I’ll get it some way. I don’t believe in asking people to work and then putting off paying them.”

From there I went to the lawyer’s office. I asked to see Mr. Capon. He had drawn up the wills for Laura and me. He had urged us to make a Living Will at that time.

“Brother Sterner, I expect you are here to ask some questions about submitting Laura’s will for probate.”

“No, I haven’t got to that yet. Let me ask some other questions. No, first read these.”

I gave him the papers from the Circuit Court. He leaned back in his chair while he was reading. He reminded me of pictures that I had seen of Abraham Lincoln. He didn’t look like him in the face, but he was tall and slim and seemed awkward when he was sitting in a chair.

“Your son sure was busy while he was in town for his mother’s funeral. What are your questions?”

“The most immediate question is how am I going to live? I have less than $100 in my wallet. I don’t have a pantry full of food, in fact there is hardly any food at the house. If someone wants me to visit a family member in a hospital in Pine Bluff, Little Rock, or El Dorado, I have to jump in my car and go. My gas gauge is on ¼ full right now. I should take it to the gas station, but if I do it will take more than $50 to fill it up.

“Before I knew anything about this lawsuit, I took bills and cancelled checks to Graham Bilton relative to Laura’s inheritance. I asked him to audit the account that contains her inheritance. That is going to cost me $500. I was going to send his report to the four sons because at the dinner after the funeral both Tom and Matthew had challenged me. When Laura first received her inheritance, she told the boys that she was going to save it for them. That is why we put it into an account in Laura’s name alone with my name in case of death. Later, when she developed cancer, she decided to use the inheritance for medical expenses that the insurance didn’t pay. She was the only one who wrote checks on that account until this year. When she was getting too weak to write the checks, she gave me power of attorney to write checks on the account.

“As for the wrongful death – the night Laura died, I did not find her dead until the next morning. By then her body was cold and her limbs were stiff. Her hand was clutching the bell she used to call me at night and her mouth was wide open. Mrs. Koontz, one of her aides, came not long after I discovered Laura dead. I told her that Laura was dead and she shoved past me into the house and went to Laura’s room. When she saw her, she screamed. She ran out of the house. Then she began to tell all over town that Laura died because she was calling for help and ringing her bell, but that I wouldn’t come to help her.

“Laura’s doctor told me that she had lived a lot longer than he thought she would. All of her organs were affected. She had not been able to talk for several weeks or more, so she couldn’t have called for help. He said that her mouth was wide open because she was trying to get air but her diaphragm and lungs had stopped working. He said that even if she had managed to ring the bell, and I had run down the hall to her room, there was nothing I could have done to keep her from dying. The hospice nurse said the same thing. She said that even if a nurse had been there, there was a Do Not Resuscitate order in accordance with her own instructions in the Living Will.”

“It would appear, Reverend Sterner, that the facts are on your side, that furthermore you need a lawyer to use the facts to send your lawyer son back to Georgia with his tail between his legs. In the meantime, I don’t know the answer to your first question, ‘How am I going to live.’ The trial date is not until December 10. Since your son’s purpose seems to be to make your life miserable, he may even try to postpone the trial until later.”

“Will you represent me?”

“It would be an honor, Joshua.”

“I probably will not be in this town or state much longer. The church is asking me to leave.”

I was standing up and Mr. Capon unfolded himself from his chair to stand across from me. His jaw dropped and for a few moments he seemed stunned. When he recovered he said,

“Keep me informed of your whereabouts and how I can reach you.”

When I reached the church office, the secretary greeted me with a cheering smile. There were no messages. I called Rev. Sheetz at the Presbytery office and told him about the lawsuit and all my bank accounts being frozen.

“Joshua, is there any way that I can help you?”

“I am going to have to operate on cash until this is straightened out. I deposited this month’s pay into my checking account, but now I can’t get any of it out. I have less than $100 in my wallet and two weeks to go until my next pay. I have no food in the house. I think that the Presbytery has an emergency fund for ministers. If you could send me at least $500 in cash by FedEx overnight I sure would appreciate it. When the church pays me in the beginning of November, I’ll repay the money.”

“I’ll get on that right away. You certainly are being punched right and left. You are a modern day Job. The Devil is doing everything possible to defeat you. Keep looking up to Jesus and I’ll be holding you up in my prayers.”

I was relieved to know that I could manage for the time being. I was grateful to the Presbytery for helping me in this way. I had to plan what my next moves would be. I should begin prioritizing, packing, and throwing things away. I would pick out what was most important to me that I could take in the car with me. The things I wanted to keep but couldn’t take with me I would put into the storage unit where I had put the boxes of Laura’s belongings. The furniture I would sell to the second hand store for whatever they would give me for it. There wasn’t much furniture and it wasn’t too good.

I remembered what Nathaniel said about Laura writing to him every week and how he had appreciated it. I decided to write to him.

Dear son,

It was so good to see you and be with you even though it was under such sad circumstances.

I had a real uplifting experience last week. A man that I didn’t even know asked me to come to the hospital and pray for his wife. I did and walking out of the hospital I was certain that she was going to get better. The next week I had to go to the Emergency Room for a church member who had a heart attack. While I was there I went to see the woman I had prayed for. She was sitting up in bed, real happy, and said that she was going home the next day.

Nathaniel, I have decided to leave this church and this town. There are just too many sad memories. Wherever I go from here, when I die I want to be buried beside Laura. Please remember that and when the time comes don’t let your brothers change it.

Love,

Dad       

 

No comments:

Post a Comment