Monday, March 17, 2014

ESCAPE - Chapter 10

   On Thursday morning I went to the bank and cashed my November salary check for $2500. I didn’t feel safe carrying that much money or having it in the house. As before, I hid it in drawers and in the pockets of clothing. Then I went to the garage where Johnny Fox is the owner and the only full-time employee.
   “Hi, Johnny.”
   “Hi, Preacher. What can I do for you?”
   “Johnny, all the time that my wife was sick I neglected everything else so I could take care of her and keep up with my work at the church. One of the things that I neglected was my car. Would you go all over it, change the oil, change the filters, check the air pressure, and tell me what else the car needs to be safe and dependable for a while?”
   “Sure, Preacher. You pick it up at the end of the day.”
   I went back to the church and threw myself into working on the sermon. The way things have been going, I might not have two more days for writing the sermon. I worked steadily and had my sermon completed at the end of the day.
   Johnny called and said that my car was ready. The bill was $105. Considering all that he did I suspect that he only charged me for the parts. I know that the car ran a lot better than before.
   I went home, read my mail, fixed supper, and then settled down on the sofa to join Bilbo Baggins and his friends on their merry adventures. I became so much a part of their fantasy world that I was able to escape my own. That was what I wanted. Bless you, Mr. Tolkien, bless you Bilbo Baggins and bless you Gandalf.
   Friday, I went back to the hospital to check on Mr. Temple and Tommy Hammaker.
Tests determined that Mr. Temple had a mild heart attack. The doctor put him on several medicines, told him to reduce the amount of fats and starches in his diet, reduce the amount of coffee, and stop the use of tobacco in every form. He made an appointment for him with the cardiologist who comes to the local hospital from Little Rock once a month. Mr. Temple was going to be discharged that day.
   Tommy Hammaker was very happy. The venom has stopped its effects on his flesh. The doctor had cut away the necrotic tissue. Tommy would have a long period of healing, but he would not have part of his leg amputated. His mother was there with him.
   “Mrs. Hammaker, forgive me for asking, where do you work? You must have lost a lot of days off work.”
   “I don’t have a regular job, Preacher. I just do odd jobs for people like washing and ironing, mending, cleaning house, babysitting, or sitting with someone who is in the hospital.”
   “I need someone to come in one day a week to do housecleaning and run the washer and dryer for me. Would you be interested? I will pay $100 for the day.”
   “Yes, sir, I’d be happy to work for you.”
   “Okay, you come next Wednesday at 9 a.m. I’ll be out of the house by then. I will leave your money in an envelope on the table just inside the door along with a list of the jobs that need to be done. When you leave that afternoon, lock the door behind you. If the phone rings, do not answer it. The answering machine will come on and the caller can leave me a message.”
**********
   Nathaniel took off early on Friday and signed out on pass until Monday morning. He was stationed at Ft. Bliss, Texas. His duty was to be advisor to half dozen Texas Army National Guard units. Normally on the weekend he was with one or the other of them while they were drilling. The units drilling this weekend were going to the firing range at Ft. Bliss for their annual weapons qualification. The rifle range personnel would be in charge and he was not needed.
   He drove to Carlsbad Caverns. When he arrived, the motels were all filled and the guided tours for Saturday were all booked. He did manage to get in on a tour on Sunday. Since the motels were filled, he decided to drive back into Texas and look for a motel room there. Just into Texas, he saw Texas route 652. That ought to lead to some small town with a half empty motel. After driving thirty miles he hadn’t met a single vehicle. That wasn’t too promising. The sun was going down.
   Up ahead was a car sitting by the side of the road. He stopped and walked back to it. There was a woman and two children in the car. They looked hot and their faces were flushed.
   “Mister, could you please help us? My car stopped. I can’t get a signal on my cell phone. We have been here several hours. We live in Pecos. We had gone to Carlsbad Caverns and were on our way home.”
   Nathaniel went back to his pickup truck and brought back the cooler.
   “I think you had all better get something cool to drink first.”
   Nathaniel poured some cold water on a rag.
   “Each of you wipe off with this cold rag and get your body temperature down to normal. My name is Gunny Sergeant Nathaniel Sterner. What are your names?”
   “My name is Joy Muldoon. This is Sean and this is Eibhlin. My husband and their father was Army Captain Patrick Muldoon. He was killed in Afghanistan.”
   Nathaniel had met Captain Muldoon several times on one of his tours in Afghanistan, but he thought it was not wise to say so.
   “Okay, my suggestion is this. Put all your belongings in the back of my truck, lock up your car, and the three of you climb into the cab of my truck. We will start off for Pecos. If we see a tow truck along the way, we will send it back for the car. If we don’t, I’ll drive you to your house, find a motel for myself, and tomorrow I’ll find a tow truck and ride back to your car with him and make sure he takes it to a garage. Then I’ll come back to your house and tell you what garage it is at.”
   In about a half hour they came to a small Texas town, Orla. There was a diner and Nathaniel stopped.
   “Let’s get some supper. It’s my treat.” Sean and Eibhlin brightened.
   “That is very generous, but we can wait until we get home.” The children looked downcast.
   “Nonsense. You are riding in my truck so you are my houseguests. Let’s get something to eat They had better have apple pie with ice cream on it to finish off the meal and hold our food in place.”
   The children giggled. Then they squealed and clapped their hands.
   “You have found the way into my children’s list of friends, Sergeant.”
   Over supper Nathaniel and Joy opened up to each other like old friends. He told her about his mother dying recently. She teared up and then began to talk about how hard it had been for her and for her children to lose Patrick. They talked until the children were restless, and had to go to the restroom. They also saw by the dark outside that they must be on their way.
   They arrived at the Muldoon residence in Pecos at nearly midnight. Nathaniel unloaded their belongings and carried them inside.
   “Bring your own things in the house also. You are not going out looking for a motel after all you have done for us. That living room sofa makes into bed. I’ll have it ready in just a few minutes.”
   “Are you sure? It won’t look too good to the neighbors.”
   “You and I know that we aren’t doing anything wrong.”
   He brought his things into the house. Joy turned the television on for him, brought him a Coke, and handed him the remote.
   “I’ll get the children ready for bed, then take a shower, and come out and let you know when the bathroom is free. While you are washing the desert dust away, I’ll make up the sofa bed for you.”
   Nathaniel’s head was swimming. He had never met a woman like Joy. She was just like her name. She wasn’t giggly, or hilarious, just full of joy. She didn’t excite him; she made him feel at peace. He didn’t think they had been flirting with each other, but discovering that they were friends. He knew that he wanted to see her more often. He had never even considered marrying anyone. He had only known Joy for hours and the thought of marriage was already in his mind.
   After he had showered he came out with the bath towel wrapped around him. Joy giggled and her eyes sparkled.
   “Well, I don’t own a pair of pajamas. I just sleep in my shorts and T-shirt.”
   She smiled, “You look just fine.”
   He arose early, but Joy was already in the kitchen. He could smell coffee brewing and bacon frying. He hurriedly dressed and shaved. By then there was a plate with pancakes and bacon and a cup of coffee waiting for him. He polished them off while Joy sat at the table watching him, smiling, and sipping coffee.
   “Aren’t you going to eat any breakfast?”
   “I’ll wait and eat with the kids.”
   “Take the other keys off the ring with the car key. Get me the registration card. Then look in the Yellow Pages and circle the towing companies that are located near here.”
   “I can give you the car key. The registration card is in the glove compartment. I’ll start looking in the Yellow Pages now.”
   “While you are at it, look for a garage where you want the car towed.”
   Saluting him she said, “Right away, Sergeant.”     
   He called several towing companies before he found one willing to go that far. Nathaniel told the guy that he would be right over. They drove to where Joy’s car was stranded alongside the road. After the tow truck driver hooked onto the car, he towed it to the garage Joy had chosen. Nathaniel paid the driver with his own credit card. Then he drove back to Joy’s house.
   “What would you be doing today if you had your car?”
   “We usually go to the grocery store. After we get home, I fix a pizza and we watch movies.”
   “Get ready and I’ll take you to the grocery store.”
   They all climbed into the cab of the truck and went to the grocery store. There was an arcade near the store. With Joy’s permission Nathaniel took Sean and Eibhlin to the arcade and fed their games quarters while Joy did the shopping. Sean sat in front of a muscle car simulator and tried to drive fast without hitting the curbs, lamp posts, pedestrians, and other cars. Eibhlin stood before a bowling game. It was a game where with a swipe of her hand a bowling ball was rolled toward the pins. She did quite well and won a free game twice. Nathaniel watched out the window and when he saw Joy come out with a basketful of groceries he said,
   “Okay, kids, time to go.”
   He was amazed that they both stopped immediately and took his hand to leave. When they reached Joy, he took the basket, rolled it across the parking lot and loaded the bags of groceries into the back of his truck. At Joy’s house he carried all the groceries into the house.        Then he said,
   “Well, I guess that I’ll be going.”
   “Do you have to report back to the base this evening?”
   “No, not until tomorrow night.”
   “Then you are not going anywhere. You wash up for supper. I already have a pizza in the oven. There is also a salad for you and me. You’ll watch movies with us. After the kids go to bed, we can talk some more. You’ll stay here again tonight. Tomorrow we’ll all go to church together. I’ll fix a nice Sunday dinner. You can leave for the base with a full belly.”
**********
   Sunday, I preached on “Sola Fide” (Only by Faith). No one mentioned that I was leaving at the end of the month. I went home and had a lonely meal. I was tired and took a long nap. Late in the evening I received an amazing phone call from Nathaniel.
   “Dad, you’ll never believe it. I met the most wonderful woman this weekend. Her name is Joy. That name describes her so perfectly. She seems to have joy in her heart all the time and that is the way she makes me feel. She has two children, a boy and a girl. I was driving along and they were in a stalled car. I picked them up and drove them to their home. The next day I went with the tow truck to get her car. When I got back I took them to the grocery store. We all had pizza and watched movies that night. Today I went to church with them. Dad, she has been a Presbyterian all her life. Her husband was killed in Afghanistan several years ago. I actually met him several times, but I didn’t tell her.
   “Dad, I’ve never even thought about love before, but this woman has really bowled me over. Dad, I am so happy, and I don’t feel in a turmoil about it. I have real peace when I think about her. Pray for us, Dad. Well, I’ve got to go. I love you.”
   I smiled and wished that Laura were here.


No comments:

Post a Comment