Wednesday, September 3, 2014

"Snowden From Llyn Nantlle"by Richard Wilson - An imagined conversation from the Canvas

“Mildred, I don’t know why you came along with me this morning. I came out here to fish. You don’t have any fishing gear with you. In fact I have never known of you to go fishing, even when you were a girl.”
“Wilmuth, I have been telling you all week that we need to talk about something. Every evening when you come home from work, you wash up, eat your supper, and then fall asleep in your chair.”
“I work hard, Mildred. I am bone tired when I get home from work.”
“I know that, Honey, that is why I came along with you on your fishing day. I thought that we could talk while you wait for the fish to bite. Anyhow, what is Andrew doing here? I thought we would have some time alone.”
“Andrew is here because I invited him to go fishing with me.”
“So! You can make time for your buddy to go fishing with you, but you can’t make time to talk with me. Is that it?”
“Mildred, I came out here to relax and fish. Andrew can fish all day alongside me and never say two words the whole day. I can sit here with my fishing line in the water, look off into the distance at those mountains and at the trees all around. Everything about this place is so peaceful and quiet. Why spoil all that with talking?”

“I spoil it all for you, do I? That isn’t the way you talked before we were married. Now, while you are working all day, I am working at the house – washing clothes and bed sheets, tending the garden, feeding the chickens and pigs, cooking our meals, cleaning the house. In addition to all that…we are going to have a baby and my husband is too busy to let me tell him!”

No comments:

Post a Comment