Tuesday, June 17, 2014

ESCAPE - Chapter 22

   Several days later, I called Rick Nolan.
   “Reverend Nolan, this is Joshua Sterner. I am ready to start looking for a church and Wyoming looks attractive to me. I’ve been preaching in the two Presbyterian churches in the town where my eldest son lives. I really don’t think it is wise for me to be a minister in a very small town where he is the family doctor. If I were serving a church in Wyoming, they would be close enough to visit a couple times a year. Up until now I have only visited them once before. That was several years ago. Would you send me the data sheets on churches in your Presbytery that are available. I am open to multiple church fields.”
   “Well, that is good news to me. I think the Laramie Church would be interested in you. I’ll look through the church data sheets and see what other churches would be a good match with you.”
   “Another request I have is that you schedule any interviews with pulpit committees and Presbytery committees as close together as is feasible. I will have to find a boarding house or inexpensive motel to stay in down there. Montana is a long drive away.”
   “I’ll do my best. Why don’t you look into a hostel in Cheyenne? You would have to sleep in a dormitory with seven other men and share a bathroom with them. However, the hostels are clean, they serve a free continental breakfast and they only cost $30-35 a night.”
   “Thank you, I’ll look into that.”
   The first time that I was on the computer, I looked for a hostel in Cheyenne and found two. One belonged to a national chain of hostels. I bookmarked that page.
   The week following Christmas, I worked on a sermon for January 2. I wanted to work in the New Year’s and Communion. I chose the verse 2 Corinthians 5:17 as my sermon text. It contains the phrase, “the old things have passed away, the new things are here”.
   When I went to Dakota United Presbyterian Church that Sunday, I had twenty-five more bags with candy and a $5 bill. This time I stapled the scene of Wise Men coming on camels. During announcement time I said,
“   Mr. Slower Than Bear and I took bags with candy to 25 children on Christmas Eve. I’m sure that we missed some children. When you leave today, will you take a bag to a child we missed?”
   They responded to the sermon. (I watch the eyes and the facial expressions of the congregation.) The communion service was like we were back two millennia and in the Upper Room with Jesus. As I read the Scriptures and prayed the prayers in the service, I asked Mr. Slower Than Bear to repeat my words in the native language. I saw the old people get tears in their eyes and smiles on their faces. After the service, I really didn’t want to leave.
   The atmosphere at First Presbyterian Church was stiff and formal. The fact that we were having the Sacrament in the service intensified the effort to be stiff and proper and do everything just right. It affected me. I was so nervous that I made several mistakes. I am ashamed that I was glad when the service was over.
   After the service Mr. Holcum asked if I would be preaching the following Sunday.
   “I don’t think so, Mr. Holcum.”
   On Wednesday I received three sets of data forms from Rick Nolan. One set was for the church in Laramie, another was for a church in Gillette, Wyoming, and the third set was for a three church field of churches in Worland, Wyoming, Thermopolis, Wyoming, and Riverton, Wyoming.
   At first glance each of them had an obvious advantage. I had already been to Laramie and knew that the people liked me. Gillette was closest to Montana. Worland-Thermopolis-Riverton were near an Indian Reservation, Wind River Indian Reservation. I hadn’t looked at the salaries but I could guess that income was in inverse proportion to the relative difficulty of pastoring the church(es).
   I said my goodbyes that evening, to Phillip, Molly, Billy, and Polly, called Rick Nolan and Joe Sheetz and told them that I would be staying at the Hostels International in Cheyenne, Wyoming, and I would call and give them my address as soon as I had one.
   That evening Nathaniel called.
   “Dad, Joy and I were married on January 1 and then we left for a honeymoon in San Antonio. We just got home. I am taking Joy to Ft. Bliss tomorrow. She needs to get an ID card. There are a half dozen offices to visit, Friday morning I will leave for Ft. Bragg, North Carolina.".
   The next day I drove south out of town with blue skies above, a wet road, and snow piled up on either side.
   “Laura, I’m ready to start again."                                                                                                                   
THE END
In the coming weeks I will post some of my favorite short stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment