Monday, May 26, 2014

ESCAPE - Chapter 20

   In the following two weeks after Tom returned from Charlotte, he was so busy he didn’t have time to worry about whether he passed the North Carolina bar exam. The people who owed him money were coming in with payments on their bills in increasing numbers. He had new clients every day. Best of all, he was beginning to have commercial clients come to him. They were small businessmen who realized that his Spartan office accommodations and his use of students explained why his fees were considerably lower than lawyers with well decorated offices in the business districts of Atlanta. 
   In the two weeks following his return, Tom netted $6000. He put $5000 in the bank and took $1000 to spend on Christmas. He bought a $500 money card. He put it in a Christmas card which he addressed “To my darling Ofelia.” He still had $500 remaining from the $1000 advance from Matthew. He held onto that money.
   At home at supper time, he stood up and asked for the attention of his wife and daughters.
“I have two announcements for the family. First, I am going to give my precious wife, Ofelia, her Christmas present early. I would like to buy her a dress or shoes or some other item, but I think if she chooses them herself, it would be better. In this Christmas card is a money card to be spent on nothing or no one but the queen of my heart and the beauty of our home. Here is $500 so that you can buy special foods for the holidays, decorations, and gifts for your family. The Lord has been good to me and has blessed my business so I want you to reap the rewards of my growing business.
   Second, I recognize the Lord’s hand in the growth of my business. I am a minister’s son, but I have been a poor Christian these past years. That is going to stop. Beginning this Sunday, I am going to be in the Presbyterian Church every Sunday. I would be delighted if the girls would come with me and go to Sunday School. They go to Catholic school, but they never go to church. I would also be happy if you would go with me Ofelia. Whether I go alone or whether my family goes with me, I am going to be in God’s House every Sunday from now on.”
   There was a stunned silence in the room. Tom walked over to Ofelia, handed her the card and the $500. Then he took her into his arms and held her close to him. After a few minutes she turned her face up to him, smiled seductively, and said, “Kiss me.”
   After a long kiss, she whispered, “We’ll finish this in the bedroom after the girls go off to bed. I’ll be looking forward to it.”
   On Sunday, the girls were ready and so was Ofelia.
***********
   I left Casper and followed I-25 North until it merged with I-90. Nearing Montana I came to Sheridan, Wyoming. I pulled off the Interstate to get some gas and also to eat lunch. There was a café near the gas station. I went in and sat down in a booth. I ordered a hot roast beef sandwich from the menu. It reminded me of an incident from my childhood. I was in sixth grade. One morning my mother didn’t have any food in the house. My father had been drinking the night before. It had been his payday. When he staggered in, he threw some money at my mother. Since she couldn’t make me a sandwich to take to school, she gave me a dollar and told me to buy my lunch. At school you had to buy lunches for the whole week. At lunch time, I went off the school grounds to a restaurant next to the school playground. I sat down in a booth and showed the waitress my dollar.
   “Can I get a lunch for this?”
   “You sure can, young man. How about a hot roast beef sandwich?”
   “Okay.”
   I didn’t know what a hot roast beef sandwich was. I thought it was a slice of beef between two slices of bread. Maybe they warmed it to make it hot.
   What the waitress brought me was a plate with a slice of bread, two generous slices of roast beef, mashed potatoes, and hot gravy on top of it all. Golly! We never had food that nice at home. Then she brought me a glass of milk. I had never felt so full when I left that restaurant. When I was older, I appreciated the generosity of the waitress. The meal obviously cost more than a dollar.
   From the past to the present. The waitress brought me a plate nearly identical to what I remembered from almost fifty years ago. I savored the meal and lingered over my coffee.
When I went out to my car there was a woman of about thirty cowering behind my car. When I approached, she ran up to me.
   “Please, Mister, you’ve got to help me! I’ve been living with this man for almost a year. In the last couple months he has been yelling at me and hitting me every time something upsets him or doesn’t go his way. Even in bed, he doesn’t make love to me, he rapes me and hurts me. Please help me get away. Take me to Billings. I have a sister there.”
   My gut instinct was to run away from this, but I also was pulled by a sense of duty to help her.
   “Do you promise that you will leave when we get to Billings?”
   “Yes, I promise.”
   Her clothes were too flimsy for the outside temperature. I rearranged the luggage and other things of mine including the snow board so that there was a place for her in the front seat. I went to the trunk, rummaged through my things and found some fleece pants and sweatshirt. I gave them to her to wear.
   When we were pulling out of the parking lot, she ducked down. There was man who looked like a lumberjack calling, “Phyllis, Phyllis. I’m sorry. Come out from wherever you are hiding. Come back home. I’ll make it up to you.”
   He was still calling her as we pulled out onto the highway.
   Phyllis was raised in an orphanage. When she was eighteen she had to leave. She tried to get a job in a store or an office. The only job that she could get was as a waitress. The cook in the café where she was working started wooing her and finally she agreed to move in with him. They were happy together, but he kept evading the issue of marriage. Fortunately, there were no children. 
   After a year and a half, a woman showed up at the apartment where they were living. She was married to the cook and threw Phyllis out without allowing her to get her things. A cook is more important than a waitress. So, at the insistence of the cook’s wife, the café let Phyllis go. No clothes, no job, no money.
   The story of Phyllis’ life was a repetition of a story I had heard over and over again with minor variations.
   “You need someone strong and reliable to watch over you and take up for you.”
  “You mean you?” Her face and voice brightened.
   “No, not me. I mean Jesus Christ. He is more powerful than the bully who has been abusing you. Psalm 5 tells us that the LORD hates all who do wrong, He destroys all who tell lies, He detests the bloodthirsty and deceitful. He is the One you need to be on your side. Start reading the Bible, go to church, fall in love with Jesus. I’m not going to tell you that all of a sudden you will be a millionaire. However, in ways that you can’t detect the Lord will be helping you. In church you will have a lot better chance of meeting a man who will treat you with the respect you deserve.”
   “If I had a father, I think he would be just like you. Thank you.”
   When we reached Billings, I let her out at a truck stop. I gave her $50 and told her that I would be praying for her.
   From Billings I turned onto I-94 East. By the time I reached Miles City, Montana there was snow on the road and it was dark. I found a motel and after I checked in, I went out looking for a place to eat. A truck stop was near the motel, so I went there to eat supper. While I was waiting for my meal, I called Philip.
   “Philip, this is Dad. I am in Miles City. I decided not to go any farther tonight.”
   “That is a wise decision, Dad. These roads are treacherous when there is snow on them. Add darkness to the snow and you have a lethal combination.”
   “I was able to get a snow board for Billy and a doll for Polly. I had a blowout in New Mexico, but it was for the good. I put snow tires on the rear wheels, I had some good experiences in Wyoming. Now I am looking forward to seeing you all.”
   “We are looking forward to seeing you. When the children came in from school, the first thing they asked was, “Is Grandpaw here?”
   “Goodbye, then.”
   “Goodbye, Dad, we love you.”
   Right after the waitress brought my food, I saw Phyllis come into the café from the parking lot for tractor trailers. She was walking hand in hand with a man who appeared younger than her. They were laughing, smiling at each other, swinging their arms as they walked along. I would be praying for Phyllis that she would turn to Jesus Christ and that she would not repeat the cycle of self destruction she had been caught in for over a decade.
   The next day I followed I-94 East to Glendive. I turned on MT Route 200S and drove north to Circle, Montana where I turned onto MT Route 13 which took me to Wolf Point.
   Wolf Point is on the Missouri River which originates in Montana and flows to St. Louis where it empties into the Mississippi River. Wolf Point is in the center of the southern border of the Fort Peck Indian Reservation. Some of the more interesting accounts of the Lewis and Clark Expedition took place in this region. 
   The western part of Montana gives the state its name which means “mountainous”. The eastern part, where Wolf Point is located, is in the plains. Cattle range here; there is farming supported by ambitious irrigation projects on four rivers that are tributaries of the Missouri. There are also many oil and gas wells in this part of the state.
   Driving east from Billings and then north from Miles City I saw many fields of grain, pasture lands being grazed by   cattle, oil derricks, even some bison. I saw fine homes, ordinary homes, and the battered trailers of the poor.
   Stopping at a gas station in Wolf Point, I asked where Dr. Sterner lived. Everyone there knew him and several people started telling me how to find his house. When I found his house and stopped the car, Molly ran out to greet me.
   “Dad, you’re here! Phil is out on a call. Let me take you to Mrs. Carruther’s house and let you get settled. I’ll help you unpack the car. Then after you are ready, we can go back to the house. The children should be getting home in another hour or so. That will give you time to be there to surprise them.”
   Mrs. Carruther was old but unbent. She carried herself with regal posture. She was dressed in an old cotton dress with an apron protecting it. She had yellowish white “grey hair” which was pulled back tightly and wrapped into a bun. Her eyes were sharp and expressive. She began to recite a list of rules which I was sure I wouldn’t remember but which ended,
   “You won’t need a key. I’ve never locked any of my doors, inside or outside. I will make breakfast for you. You will have to be downstairs and in the dining room promptly at 8 a.m.  If the toilet stops up, go get a plunger and unstop it yourself. I want $250 a week. You can pay me the first week right now.”
   She held out her hand palm up. I pulled out my wallet and put $250 into her hand.
   In the next couple days I realized that Wolf Point was a bigger town than its official population of 2700 would suggest. There were three television channels, and an AM/FM radio station located in Wolf Point. Wolf Point is a stop on the Amtrak and has a passenger station. There are also two large grain elevators and a grain mill.
   The town is located on a large Indian reservation, Fort Peck Indian Reservation. Fifty percent of the town’s population is native American Indians.
   The predominance of Scandinavian names and the fact that there are more Lutherans than Presbyterians, Baptists, and Mormons combined says a lot about the history of this area. The largest church by far is the Catholic Church. That can be attributed to their long history of missionary work among the Indians. The historic division between the Indians and the white men is illustrated by the fact that there are two Presbyterian churches, First Presbyterian Church and Dakota United Presbyterian Church. (The historic United Presbyterian denomination also had missionary efforts among the Indians. The United Presbyterian denomination joined the Presbyterian Church U.S.A. a generation ago.) Both churches now belong to the same denomination, have a membership of 33 members each, and are only two blocks apart in Wolf Point.
   Place names reflect history. Wolf Point is located in Roosevelt County. That would be for Theodore Roosevelt who loved the Wild West. First Presbyterian Church is located on Custer Street. Custer’s Last Stand involved some of the Indians from this area.
   My arrival in town did not go unnoticed. In the next issue of the Herald News, there was this item in “Local News”:
“The Reverend Joshua Sterner, father of local medical doctor Philip Sterner, has come to Wolf Point for an extended vacation. He is staying at Mrs. Carruther’s home as a boarder. The local Presbyterians are hoping that he will preach for them while he is here.”
    The local Presbyterians in the persons of Dwight Holcum, clerk of session at First Presbyterian Church, and Andrew Slower Than Bear, clerk of session at Dakota United Presbyterian Church, came to me on Thursday and asked me if I would preach for them while I was in town. Andrew added, “If you will be here on January 2 that is our next scheduled communion service. We haven’t had a communion service for a year now. The presbytery has offered to commission one of our elders to administer communion. We haven’t agreed which has annoyed them. It just doesn’t seem right to us.”
   “I will be glad to preach in your churches and I expect to be around until at least January 2. I am “between churches” as they say. My wife died of cancer in October. I decided that I needed some time to get over that. My oldest son and grandchildren are here, so I want to hang around a while before I get back into the harness. Mr. Slower Than Bear tell me sometime the origin of your name. Also, I would be honored if you would show me around the Reservation and introduce me to the tribal elders.”
   I saw a dark cloud pass over Mr. Holcum’s face for a brief instant.


No comments:

Post a Comment