Monday, April 28, 2014

ESCAPE - Chapter 16


   Before I called the executive presbyter of Wyoming Presbytery I recalled an incident in Cheyenne, Wyoming years ago. I was on a bus going from Baltimore, Maryland to San Francisco, California. We had been riding all day through Iowa and Nebraska. In Nebraska we were caught in the middle of a sudden snow storm. Cars and trucks were stopped along the highway.
   As the bus crawled along on the snow covered road, it stopped a number of times to pick up people stranded in their vehicles, even tractor trailer truck drivers. The aisle of the bus was jammed with people. The bus was able to keep going because it was so heavy, and it had dual wheels on the rear axle with two diesel engines. It moved slowly but deliberately. Snow was beating against the windshield and was being whipped into swirls by the wind all around us. After what seemed to be hours, we approached the next town. The snow slackened off and by the time we reached the town, there was no snow. In the town itself the streets were dry.
   This encounter with snow made the bus fall behind schedule. By the time we reached Cheyenne, Wyoming it was 7:30 p.m. The bus “station” was a giant steak house. There was a long undulating counter with tall chairs. I was hungry, but I didn’t have much money. I looked through the menu. All they had were steak dinners! I chose the most inexpensive meal. (I was wearing my Class A uniform because the Air Force had given me a voucher instead of a ticket. Bus company rules were that they only honored vouchers if you were in uniform.) 
   When the waitress brought my meal there was a steak as big as the plate. She brought another plate with bread, butter, potato, and green beans.  Then she brought my coffee. I protested that this was more than I had ordered. She just winked. Meanwhile, almost everyone who passed my chair was saying , “Welcome, Airman”, or “Thank you for your service.” Or “God bless you.” Or they would squeeze my shoulder in a friendly greeting. This was surprising to me because it was near the end of the Vietnam War and servicemen were generally despised.
   As I was polishing off my meal the waitress brought me an apple pie with a scoop of ice cream. I was enjoying the food, but I was afraid that I didn’t have enough money to pay the bill. Even if I did, I wouldn’t have any money for the remainder of the trip. As I was finishing my meal, a man came out of the kitchen.’
   “Well, GI, how did you like your steak?”
   “It was delicious, sir. I don’t think I have ever had a steak that good.”
   “It ought to be good. It was the best steak I had in my kitchen. I was proud to serve it to you. Nothing is too good for our men in uniform. Don’t you insult me by reaching for your wallet. Your meal was on the house and I have already given your waitress a tip.”
   I thanked him and stood up. As I did, a number of people stood up and clapped and whistled as I walked out the door. I never see the names Cheyenne or Wyoming without choking up remembering that incident. That steak was so filling that I didn’t think I would ever be able to eat again.
   When I calledhim, the presbytery exec in Wyoming was very friendly to me. He asked about me. He wanted to know how I was coping with my grief over the loss of my wife.
   “Frankly, I took this vacation hoping to escape all the other things that have kept me from grieving for Laura.”
   “I appreciate your honesty, Reverend Sterner. Do you think you would be up to preaching in a strange church? We have a vacant church in Laramie. If you would preach there as a pulpit supply on Sunday, December 11, I could come and hear you preach, watch how you relate to the people, and you could look the church over. Afterward, we could have dinner together and talk some more. When your vacation is over and you are ready to do some serious looking, call me and then we won’t be talking as complete strangers.”
   “That sounds all right to me.”
   “Good. I’ll make a reservation for you in the Hampton Inn Hotel in Laramie for Saturday, December 11, and Sunday, December 12. Monday morning you can leave for Montana.”
**********
   Nathaniel settled into a one man campaign of harassing both Blue Team and Red Team. He did all this at night.  He would sneak up from behind the guard on duty, clamp his hand over his mouth, seize the guard’s rifle, sling it on his own shoulder, tie the guard’s hands behind his back, gag him, and then start setting off cherry bombs, or stink bombs, or screaming rockets.     The whole squad would be awakened and about that time the guard would run into camp with his hands tied behind his back and without his weapon.
   He was always looking for their food and fuel caches. If they were guarded, he left them undisturbed. If they were unguarded, he would steal from them.
   The more involved he became, the more it started to become a replay of Afghanistan. He was working during the day with the two Team staffs – scoring, critiquing, and advising. He would get some sleep from supper until the dark of night. As the days went on, he became seriously sleep deprived.
   One night, as he was setting off rockets over one squad’s tactical position, he fell to the ground on his knees and was rocking back and forth, screaming and crying, “Make them stop. Make them stop it.” then “Incoming, take cover.” and “Shoot, man, kill those ragheads. What are you waiting for?”
    At first the soldiers thought it was another tactic. Eventually, the first lieutenant who was out in the field with them, recognized that something was wrong. He took Sergeant Sterner back to the staff position for Red Team. The Captain had seen this reaction to combat when he was in Iraq. He called for the medic.
   “Do you think that we need to take this man to the local hospital?”
   “Let’s take him to his trailer, put him to bed, and I’ll give him a shot of tranquilizer. Have a man go with me to stay with him and call me if he needs help. If we take him to the hospital, the paperwork is liable to ruin his career.”
   The next morning after Nathaniel was awake, the Captain, who was Red Team commander, came to Nathaniel’s trailer. “You are confined to this trailer for the remainder of our time here. The medic will give you tranquilizer pills and you WILL take them. If you don’t, I can’t guarantee that you won’t have another episode as severe or more severe.
   “I want you to relax and sleep the rest of the time you are here. If you do, I won’t write any of this up. When you get back to Texas, I want you to voluntarily go to your commanding officer and tell him that you want out of Special Forces, that you want to be reassigned to some other branch. Tell him about this episode, any other episodes, nightmares, or any other symptoms. If you are straight up with him, he’ll respect it, and you will probably be able to remain on active duty. Whether he does or does not allow you to stay on active duty, you need help. As long as you deny it, the more chance that you will hurt yourself or someone else.”
   “Yes, sir”
   For the next week Nathaniel took his pills, and did a lot of sleeping and dozing. He tried to write a letter to Joy, but the words just wouldn’t come. In the end he just started packing and waited for the day to leave. That day came several days later. He boarded the bus with the other men, went to the airport, and they flew back to Texas.
   Nathaniel didn’t call Joy when he returned to his quarters at Ft. Bliss. The next day he called his commanding officer, Colonel Reisner at Ft. Bragg, North Carolina.
   “Colonel Reisner, this is Sergeant First Class Nathaniel Sterner. I am on detached duty at Ft. Bliss, Texas assigned to the Texas Army National Guard Special Forces units as advisor. I am calling to request reassignment out of Special Forces.”
   Nathaniel briefly recounted what had happened to him at Camp Dawson. “The Red Team commander said that he would not put it in his report if I would voluntarily ask for a transfer out of Special Forces.”
   “Good man! Okay, Sergeant Sterner, I will have my office cut orders transferring you back here. I want our own people to have a look at you, and have some input on the best course of action. Do you have any leave on the books?”
   “Yes, sir, forty-two days.”
   “Good. I will authorize thirty days delay enroute. That way you can celebrate Christmas and New Year’s before reporting here for duty.”
   “Thank you, sir.”
   When Nathaniel hung up, he knew that the next thing that he had to do was to tell Joy. Tuesday and Wednesday were his normal days off, so he requested a two day pass to go to Pecos.
**************
   Tom began right away to prepare for the next bar exam in North Carolina. He went on the Internet and found the address for the forms to apply to take the exam. He filled in the forms as soon as he received them and mailed them back. He looked for his books from law school and began applying himself to refresh his knowledge of the law.
   On the website of the North Carolina Bar Association he found some sample questions from the bar exam. He received a phone call from Matthew.
   “Tom, I found out that the next bar exam is on Friday, December 3. There will be an all day review session at one of the hotels. I’ll register you for it. Come up on the first. We will have a room for you. If you fly up here, I have an extra car that you can use. That way we can have a couple evenings when we can talk and catch up.”
   “Thank you, that is very generous of you.”
   “Like I told you before, I think our joining talents will be as much an advantage to me as it is to you.”
   “Thank you. I’ll look forward to seeing you the evening of December 1.”
   “We’ll wait supper for you, so don’t be too late getting here.”
   On the evening of December 1 Tom arrived in a taxi at the impressive white brick home of Matthew Sterner. He and his wife were warm and cordial to Tom. Matthew helped Tom carry his bags to the guest bedroom.
   “I’ll leave you to get washed for supper. Then come downstairs. Supper is ready and waiting for us.”
   When Tom came downstairs he was shown into a spacious dining room. There was a white linen tablecloth and napkins with the monogram “S”. The dinnerware was china and there were silver utensils, as well as a silver coffee server and creamer. A young Latina maid served the various courses.
   After dinner Matthew and Tom retired to the den while Traci went upstairs to get their boys ready for bed. Matthew said, "The way I envision our cooperation is this: When I have legal matters that require Spanish language translation either Spanish to English or English to Spanish, I’ll send that work to you. Or if I have a contract or deed that involves property in Georgia, I’ll send those to you. We can begin there and we may find other possible areas of mutual interest.
   “I have a 2005 Jeep Sport out in the garage. We use it to go to the Outer Banks or other places where we are going to be driving on dirt or gravel roads. Here are the keys. Use it while you are here.”
   On Thursday Tom spent twelve hours at a review session in the conference room of the Ramada Hotel. There would be an hour of motivational lecture filled with the types of questions past exams had used. Then there would be an hour on the computer taking mock sections of the bar exam. At the end of the day his head felt like mush.
   The North Carolina law exam lasted all day and was in six sections. During the exam several people got up and walked out. In the end Tom felt pretty confident that he had passed.
   That evening after supper, while they were in the den, Matthew handed Tom ten $100 bills. “I know you have had expenses coming up here. This isn’t to reimburse you for those expenses and it is not a gift. I am so confident that you passed and of our future partnership that I am giving you this as an advance on your future billings. You won’t get the results in the mail until the end of December. Use that money for Christmas for your family.”
   When Tom came home, the girls were delighted to see him. Ofelia was cool and a bit suspicious.
   “Where have you been since you left home on Wednesday morning? You left a note on the bed that you had to go out of town for several days to do some legal work. You told your secretary/legal aide to collect money and give receipts and to take any messages that came in. You told her that you would be gone the rest of the week and would return on Saturday.  That is more than you told me.”
   “You were out shopping when I came home to pack my clothes. That is why I left a note on the bed.”
   “Where were you?”
   “I went to Charlotte, North Carolina and stayed at Matthew’s house while I was doing some legal work. The work was just two days work and it paid me $500 plus my travel expenses. I stayed at Matthew’s house so that I wouldn’t have to pay for a motel. With Christmas coming, I wanted to be able to give you enough money to buy some nice presents for the girls and also the fixings for a nice holiday meal. Here is the $500.”
   Ofelia warmed up after that.. “You are giving me all of it?”
   “All of it.”
   “Then how are you going to buy me a present?”
   “I’m hoping there may be another opportunity for extra money before Christmas.”
   Actually Tom knew that there probably wouldn’t be any more extra work before Christmas. That is why he held back $500. Ofelia’s attitude toward Tom became warmer and more affectionate in the following weeks. Tom knew that he would have to continue with gifts of extra money to maintain her warmth and affection. She ought to have Madonna’s song “Material Girl” as her theme song. He couldn’t help but contrast her with his mother, Laura, and with Philip’s wife, Molly. He was sure Ofelia and Matthew’s wife Traci were cut from the same pattern. The difference was that Matthew could afford to indulge his wife’s extravagance. Ofelia’s desire for spending was beyond his ability to sustain it.



No comments:

Post a Comment