Wednesday, January 16, 2013

CHANGE OF LIFE - Chapter 21

    Monday was my day off. I just wanted to get away from the house, the neighborhood, and all the reminders of early Sunday morning. I went to the bank and withdrew $450. That only left me with $1500. I decided to go shopping. They say nothing makes a woman feel better than a day of shopping. I had never gone out shopping as a recreation, but I was willing to try it. I needed underwear and a new pair of shoes. That should keep me busy all day if I do a lot of looking-shopping and only a little bit of buying-shopping. I went to the midtown area and concentrated on the big department stores. I spent about $150 including my lunch at Starbucks.

When I came back home, I put my purchases away, ate supper with Maggie and the girls, and went back to my room. I didn’t know if Maggie understood the implications of what had happened. However, I could see what was down the road, and it will all come to a head in the next couple days.

On Tuesday morning I took the girls to the Aquarium. I knew that would take up all day and that is what I wanted. When we returned, there was an envelope which a policeman had left in the mail slot. It was addressed to Dolores Kosciuszko asking me to call the precinct desk. When I called, the desk sergeant said,

“Ms. Kosciuszko, we need you to come to the precinct house at your earliest convenience to be interviewed by a detective.”

“My job is babysitting two children all day while their mother is at work. Monday is my day off. Could I wait until then?”

“When does the mother come home?”

“Usually about 4:00 PM.”

“I’ll send a detective there today at 4:00PM to pick you up.”

The detective arrived just as Maggie was coming home. He was driving an unmarked car but it was obvious to anyone who lives in the city that he was a policeman.

“Which one of you ladies is Ms. Dolores Kosciuszko?”

“I am Sergeant Charles Bailey. Would you come with me please?”

The girls looked puzzled and frightened. Maggie took them by the hand and led them into the house.

I had to ride in the back seat where people who have been arrested ride. There is no upholstery. It is some kind of molded fiberglass seat that is easy to clean and in which suspects cannot hide weapons or evidence like they could in the pleats and separations of an upholstered seat. We rode in silence. At the precinct the sergeant had to open my door from the outside.

Inside the precinct building I followed the sergeant to a room with a table, chairs on either side, a huge mirror on the wall behind me, a video camera and microphone mounted on a tripod on the table, and a light shining on me.

The detective read off, almost in a monologue, a case file number, his name and badge number, the precinct number and Chicago Police Department.

“State your name and address.”

“Dolores Kosciuszko, 390 Armitage, Chicago, Illinois.”

“In your own words describe the events of the evening of July 3 and the morning of July 4 of this year.”

“I am a live-in babysitter for two daughters of Mrs. Maggie O’Toole. We decided to take the girls to the Navy Yard to see the fireworks. As soon as Maggie came home from work, we got ready and left – probably about 5PM. When we arrived at the Navy Yard we let the girls go on some of the rides and we all went on the ferris wheel. We walked around the midway for a while and then went to a grassy slope where we were going to watch the fireworks. We had brought sandwiches. I went back to the midway and bought two lemonades.

“When we were finished eating, I took the trash and went looking for a trash barrel. I saw Sean O’Toole in the crowd. I was frightened. He had previously attacked me. I kept my head down and walked to the trash barrel. While I was throwing the trash away, he came up behind me and said,’I see you b****. I know where to find you. When I come that protective order won’t be worth s***.’

“I was nervous after it was dark and the fireworks started. I didn’t see him again and I didn’t have a chance to tell Maggie without the girls hearing me. It was after midnight when we returned to the house. I was exhausted; Maggie and the girls were using the bathroom upstairs so I took a sponge bath in the sink at the back of my ground floor apartment.

“I got in bed and fell asleep. Sometime during the night a man with a black hood on his head woke me by pulling me upright in bed by my hair. He said that he had been watching me bathe from out in the back yard. He said that he was going to rape me “rough and hard” and then he was going to cut up my face and body so that I would be “dog ugly”. He yanked the covers off of me and was climbing onto my futon to straddle me. I saw an opening and kicked him in the groin as hard as I could. He grabbed at himself and fell toward me. I poked two fingers through the holes in his mask and into his eyes. Then I jumped up and hit him on the head as hard as I could with some books. It knocked him out. I pulled the mask off, picked up the knife with it, called the police, ran out onto the sidewalk and called for Maggie. The police came in several minutes and went into my apartment and took him out.”

“You said that he had previously attacked you?”

“I don’t remember the date. It was several weeks ago. It was on a Friday. I had taken the girls to the library and we were walking home. A half block from the house I saw a man get out of a car and stand in front of the house. I asked the older girl, Karen, if she knew the man. She said, ‘It’s Daddy and I’m scared. Mommy said that he might come and take us away.’  I gave her the house key and told her to get her sister, Kaitlynn, into the house, lock the door, run upstairs and not to open the door again until she saw the man drive away.

“I got between the man and the girls. When they were inside he started raging at me that they were his girls and that he had a legal right to see them or to take them with him. I could tell that he had been drinking. I told him that the police were the ones who made sure the laws were obeyed. I was calling them and he could make his case to them or to a judge. When I completed the call he slapped me so hard that my knees buckled. I may have been unconscious. The next thing I knew the police were there and Karen was kneeling over me crying. The policeman told me that unless the mother had a custody order, the father indeed could see the girls or take them with him.

“I explained all this to Maggie. She went to the police with me, where I signed and received a copy of the officer’s report. She then went to the Child Protection department of DHS. They obtained a protection order, went to court and had her awarded full custody temporarily, started the process to have her awarded child support. I don’t know the details but Mr. O’Toole must think that I am the one to blame.”

“Ms. Kosciuszko, this is going to be one or more felony charges against Mr. O’Toole. You are going to have to be interviewed by an Assistant District Attorney and you are, most likely, going to have to testify in a trial.”

“That is the Gordian knot that I am caught in. I came to Chicago to start a new life. I was looking for a room to rent and a job. A woman referred me to Maggie O’Toole. Maggie had a first floor room for rent and she needed a babysitter for her girls until school starts. She offered me free room and board if I would babysit her girls this summer. Her husband had left her the previous year the day before Thanksgiving. She had not heard from him. She filed a missing persons report. The police found him but wouldn’t give her the address.

“My problem is this – I am going to have to leave that home in the next couple days. My relationship with the girls and even with Maggie will be destroyed when they find out that the father/husband might go to prison and that it is my testimony that will send him there. Blood is thicker than water. I will have to leave. I may even have to return to that little town in Arkansas that I was trying to escape.”

“I will try to set up an appointment with an Assistant District Attorney tomorrow or Thursday at 4:00PM. Do you have a cell phone?  Good. I’ll call you tomorrow and let you know when I will pick you up.”

He drove me back to the house. This time he had opened the front door on the passenger side and let me ride up front.

Maggie and the girls were already eating when I came in. I quickly washed and sat down at the table. They were all quiet. After supper I helped Maggie gather the dishes and wash them. After the girls were in the living room watching television, I said quietly,

“Maggie, I am going to have to leave, probably in the next few days.”

“I know, Dolores, you are not the one at fault – Sean is to blame. But when the word gets out that Sean is in jail, and if there is a trial, the whole neighborhood will be against you. That is just the way it is. He is from the neighborhood and you are an outsider. Then they will start saying things to the girls. I don’t know what I am going to do, but I know you will have to leave.”

“Let’s say Friday when you get home from work.”

We hugged and I went downstairs to my room.

I had forgotten about Linda Halstead. I would have to go there either tomorrow evening or Thursday evening and tell them that I would not be able to tutor Linda any more.

I tried to read but couldn’t concentrate. I put my cell phone on the charger so that it would be ready for Sergeant Bailey’s call tomorrow. I took the underwear I bought Monday out of the packages, washed them in the sink, rinsed them, and hung them up in different places to dry. I got my new shoes out of the box and decided to wear them tomorrow.

I had taped newspapers over the windows in the kitchen after the break in. I took a sponge bath at the sink and crawled into my futon bed. It had cost me $550 plus $20 to the deliveryman plus about $100 for the sheets and comforter. I was not going to get very many nights sleep for almost $700. I decided that I was going to enjoy tonight’s sleep.

On Wednesday I took the girls along with me while I ran some errands. I went to the bank and withdrew another $500. I went to the post office and filled out a form for the Post Office to hold all my mail until I sent a new address to which to forward it. Then I went to the library, returned all my books (including the ones I had used to hit Sean). I told the Librarian that I would not be able to hold the Story Hour any longer.

On our way home, Sergeant Bailey called to say that he would pick me up at 4:00 PM that day.

The interview with the Assistant District Attorney covered the same material as my interview with Sergeant Bailey.

“What is this about you moving?  Where are you going?”

“I don’t know. I can’t stay in that house. I am not safe. He has relatives that live in the same block. I am an outsider. His wife told me that I will have to leave. I won’t be effective as a babysitter when neighbors start telling the girls, ‘That is the woman who is going to send your Daddy to prison.’  I don’t have any other job here. I’m running out of money. I’m moving out of her house Friday evening. I will go to a motel for a few days and then I will either go back to Arkansas or I will go to Baltimore. I am afraid of Sean O’Toole. That is why I want to leave Chicago.”

“Will you keep us informed of your whereabouts?  Here is my card.”

“Yes, I will keep you informed of my new address.”

The next day I returned to the library and made a reservation on the computer at Hostels International for Friday- Monday.

I found a cardboard box to pack the extra items I had accumulated that wouldn’t fit in my suitcase. I put my best clothes in the suitcase so that I could put the box in storage as soon as I registered at the hostel.

Thursday evening I went to the Halstead’s. Mr. Halstead came to the door and glowered at me. “V-I-C-T-O-R-I-A!”

Mrs. Halstead came to the door. “I didn’t think you would be coming back.”

“Actually, I came to tell you that I cannot continue tutoring Linda.”

“Yes, I heard that you were caught getting it on with Mr. O’Toole.”

My chin dropped. I started to reply, then turned and left.

That day and the next went in a whirl and soon I was saying good-bye to Maggie and the girls. I called a taxi to take me and my bags to the hostel.

After checking in and getting settled, I went out for supper. When I returned, I went to a quiet place in the lobby and called Willard.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment